- Buying Club Pickup Hours
Thursdays: 3 pm - 8 pm
Fridays: 3 pm - 6 pm
Saturdays: 9 am - 12 pm
News & Events
City Harvest is a small urban farming operation that produces specialty microgreens and shoots within the city limits of Hagerstown. Founded in the spring of 2015, City Harvest looks to expand the diversity of locally available produce.
We aim to provide high quality greens in an urban setting using vertical gardening techniques. We use organic growing methods and never use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides. As a first generation farming operation, we constantly research innovations in farming, trying new cultivars and techniques, and learn as we grow.
What Are Microgreens?
Microgreens are tiny edible greens that provide exceptional flavor, nutritional value, texture, and color to salads, sandwiches, wraps, tacos, pizza, smoothies, soups and more. Smaller than “baby greens,” and harvested later than “sprouts,” microgreens provide a variety of leaf flavors, and come in many vibrant colors. Fine dining chefs use microgreens to enhance the beauty, taste and freshness of their dishes with their delicate textures and distinctive flavors.
Researchers at the USDA Agricultural Research Service and the University of Maryland began studying the nutritional content of microgreens in 2012. They looked at four groups of vitamins and other phytochemicals – including vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene – in 25 varieties of microgreens. The researchers found that leaves from nearly all of the microgreens had four to six times more nutrients than the mature leaves of the same plant, with variation among the varieties (red cabbage was highest in vitamin C, while the green daikon radish microgreens had the most vitamins).
Shoots can be used as a garnish, added to salad mixes, and eaten fresh, blanched, or juiced. Their delicate textures and flavors add a grace note to just about any dish. City Harvest offers mildly sweet pea shoots, lettucy buckwheat shoots, and health-nutty sunflower shoots.
City Harvest offers microgreens and shoots that are harvested at the peak of flavor, color, texture. We strive to provide products that have been harvested as close to purchase as possible, proving our customers with a long shelf-life that commercial products don’t offer.
- Mild Mix – Red Russian Kale, Red Cabbage, and Purple Kohlrabi
- Spicy Mix – Garnet Giant and Southern Giant Mustards
- Rambo Radish – Red Russian Kale and Rambo and Daikon Radish
- Arugula – Nutty and spicy with some heat
- Rainbow Mix – A colorful mix of available microgreens
- Italian Large Leaf Basil
- Pea Shoots
- Sunflower Shoots
- Buckwheat Shoots
- Meet New Supplier: Red Dragon Mini Farm (March 2019)
- 2019 Spring Break Closure Schedule
- Welcome New Supplier: Ivy Hill Farm of Smithsburg, MD
- Farmer Meet & Greet Event
- Call for new Board Members! -2019
- Whispering Breeze Farm offering Turkeys for Thanksgiving 2018
- Reducing single use plastics with Good Gracious Gardens
- Meet New Supplier: Smoky Bend Farm
- Co-op News
- Community Involvement
- Eco News
- Food News
- Get to Know…
- How To's
- Monthly News Article
- Recycling Tips & Hints
Valley Co-op Stats
as of 1/19/19
Total Number of Member Households: 177
(240) 329-2395 · 25 West Church Street, Hagerstown, MD · ©2017 Valley Co-op